Friday, January 14, 2011

L'eggo my Organic Blueberry Cornmeal Pancake

Ok, this title only works if you are familiar with the "L'eggo my Eggo" commercials on TV. Interestingly enough, the United States is just coming out of an Eggo waffle shortage: inspectors found listeria in a sample of Eggo waffles in one of Kellogg's main plants in Atlanta. Mmmm, delicious.

That plant was shut down; you can read more about that here if you are interested, but now you know part of the reason why I like to make my own food for my kids, right? (The other part... it just tastes better!)

Without further adieu, today's breakfast: Blueberry Cornmeal (and did I mention cinnamon?) Pancakes


Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
   (hint: sour milk by using 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk, stir, let sit for 5 minutes)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Real maple syrup to top!



I believe that better ingredients make better food. Please bear with me (or skip over this part if it doesn't interest you!) while I give a few tips that I have learned this year and implemented into my life. I've never been happier with the way my family eats.



  • I use whole wheat flours when I can, and usually at least substitute a part of my recipes with a whole grain variety of flour. This works great, even for cookies and breads. Really!
  • I buy local! My eggs, beef, and milk come from local farms less than 2 hours away. Happy, uncrowded,  animals in a natural setting with natural food sources make more nutritious food- it's just a fact.
  • Sure, raw milk may not be for everybody- but we can drink ours with confidence. It comes from a family we can trust with a Jersey cow named Sandy... she just got test results back on samples of her milk. (Excellent!) So thankful for the opportunity for real, nutritious, unmessed-with milk.
  • Same goes with eggs-- remember back in November when all those eggs were pulled from your grocer's shelves due to salmonella? Find local free-ranged chickens raised in less crowded conditions; the quality of their eggs are better. The yolks are much richer in taste and darker in color, the whites are thicker, less runny, and shells are harder than store bought eggs.
  • Try to get less-processed versions of your food. Look at your labels. I am on the lookout for food additives, preservatives, food colorings, and unpronounceable ingredients. Buying higher quality or organic foods does not have to be hard on your budget-- think of what you can cut out. Do you really need that box of oreos, mac & cheese, and snack crackers? For me, a co-op that comes to town monthly is key.
  • Baby steps! No need to get frazzled, slowly implement healthy changes into your life. That's what I did, and I'm loving it.

Now, back to those pancakes. They are so simple to make, and totally delicious!

And the best part: make a double batch and double your efforts. Freeze the leftovers and pop them in the toaster when the kids beg for them tomorrow.

All the convenience of an Eggo; without the preservative TBHQ.

...and that warm feeling of making something homemade.

1 comment: