Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On the Morning You Were Born...


We welcomed baby Maren Marie into our home at 2:45 am on Sunday, August 12th.

Click here to see a slideshow of the birth, compliments of my friend Erica. She did a wonderful job and was a joy to have at the birth.



An incredible homebirth midwife, Paulette, also attended. She was just perfect. Baby Maren was her 579th baby delivered. I think that is pretty special.



Without further ado, the birth story!

______________________________________________________________

Contractions yesterday were sporadic on and off all day. By evening time I was thinking maybe they were the real deal and thought if they stayed like that, after I put kids in bed I would call my midwife, Paulette, and give her a heads up.

I called her at 8:30pm and she just happened to be on her way home from another birth in a different part of the state. She said she would be passing thru Minot in 45 minutes. The timing was perfect!

I talked with Paulette for awhile on the couch and then we all decided to try and get a little rest. The lights went off and the house turned quiet. Laying down thru contractions hurt pretty bad after a short time so I got up and walked/swayed/leaned through them. I just listened to what my body wanted to do and found the pain very manageable. I felt bad for having Paulette downstairs as it seemed maybe it wasn't the "real thing" as the contractions were still 7-15 minutes apart.

My last pregnant picture. I took this while laboring in my master bathroom while the house was fast asleep. It was the part of the birth that will probably be the most special to me... {besides the obvious- when baby enters the world!} The cool misty breeze in the window and the warm bath water were the greatest gifts!

Well after another short time those contractions got intense. I found it being 1:00am and I could hear Paulette snoring loudly on the couch as well as my husband snoring loudly in the bed. It actually struck me funny. I finally woke up Leif as I told my friend and birth photographer Erica that she could come anytime as contractions were 4-5 minutes apart.

By this time, I was in and out of the warm bath as that felt good. It was an awesome night, raining or drizzling the entire night, and I had the bathroom lights dim and the window open so I could feel the cool damp breeze. The fresh air offered a ton of relief and distraction. I spent a lot of time with my head or hand outside the window listening to the chirping of crickets; that's all I could hear besides the rain. It sounds nature-ish and cheesy but hey, that's the way it was!

So contractions got more intense but I always had a bit of a break to recover, up until my body needed to push. I was nervous about pushing but kept overriding my fear and trying to let my body to the work and my mind just cooperate and not give in to the pain or fear. Paulette and Erica were great, chatting lightly and observing without "watching" if that makes sense.

At about 2:30 or later Paulette asked if Leif was asleep - things were getting pretty serious-- so I asked him to come in- ha! He was "resting" in the master bedroom which he considers part of the birthing suite. ;)

My body began to push and it was getting very difficult to handle the pain but I knew it would be over soon and I would meet the baby. I pushed and my water broke. I could feel that the head was descending and this was the most painful and difficult part of my labor. When she came out (maybe 5 minutes following the water breaking) I was so relieved and so excited to see what he or she was. Leif said "I think it's a girl!" and I was shocked, that's what I really wanted!! I was so happy! She was so pink and healthy and cried a little, then snuggled in.

We waited till the cord stopped pulsing and cut that, then got out of the tub and laid on the bed to deliver the placenta. Paulette did such a nice job gently guiding it out slowly and carefully as to ensure the entire placenta came intact. I have a lot of trust in the way she is so methodical, gentle, and careful to details.

Then we did baby's weights and measurements and kept nursing. My pulse was low so I drank some EmergenC and ate a banana. It got back up quickly.

Paulette left after all was done, including cleaning the tub {she is wonderful} making sure all was in order and praying with us. We cuddled up with our new little one and slept all night. Ok, I slept maybe 40 minutes total. She was nursing off and on all night and I was in too much awe and shock to sleep! :)
______________________________________________________________

A few hours later, the rain left glistening hills and low clouds that hung in the coulee. Beautiful!
{Happy Birthday, Maren}

Two sleepyheads... right before the older kids got to meet their sister!
After Maren's second night. Daddy did such a nice job giving mommy some much needed rest by holding her and putting her to sleep after many restless hours. I got 4 hours of sleep and felt like a million bucks.

More girls! Now we are equal- 3 boys and 3 girls. I cannot believe there are 6 of us!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment