Saturday, April 21, 2012

Homemade Hotdog Buns

Do you ever feel guilty serving your family hot dogs for dinner? I know I do. Not guilty enough to not do it. But guilty enough to feel a little bit... well, guilty.

Anyways. There are some things that can be done to redeem this easy and delicious meal. First of all, let me recommend a better hot dog. We all know that hot dogs are made with "junk" meat [often by-products], cured with nitrates, and have high levels of sodium and fat. 

The other night, I used Hebrew National Beef Franks. That being said, I cannot recommend it... they are only very slightly better than the alternatives.

What I can recommend is this:
While I haven't found these locally in stores, I can get them from a co-op [Azure Standard.]

Here's why; in a nutshell. It is made from organic, grass fed beef, which is naturally significantly lower in fat than a similar all-beef frank. 

Perhaps most importantly, there are no nitrates used; it is uncured. What is wrong with nitrates?Nitrates in hotdogs form carcinogens. Read more about the link between hot dogs and cancer here.

Applegate Ingredient List:
Organic Grass-fed Beef, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Paprika, Organic Dehydrated Onion, Organic Spices, Organic Nutmeg Oil, Celery Powder.



Hotdog buns pose another problem. They are full of preservatives, high in sodium, and most contain high-fructose corn syrup. Look at the label the next time you are shopping around for hot dog buns... it is appalling! It is what drove me to look for a hot dog bun recipe.

And it was amazingly easy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/burger-or-hot-dog-buns/

I used my bread machine to make the dough. The hardest part was shaping the dough into hot dog buns, but I learned a lot with the first batch and got the right shape the second time around. 

They were delicious-- the best hot dog bun I've ever tasted.

Not exactly a gourmet meal- but the kids think so.

Banana peppers, red onions, and pickles for relishes.

A horrible iPhone picture, but that is what happens when meal time gets crazy!
The link between hot dogs (and other nitrates found in cured meats) and childhood cancers is frightening, but it is a nice relief to know that there are healthier alternatives. Next time your serve up a hotdog this summer, try the buns-- I don't think I will ever buy them from the store again!


No comments:

Post a Comment